Monday, April 26, 2010

Hats

Colby loved hats. From the time he was a baby, he always had to have a hat on his head. When Colby was just a year old, my mother and I were in a department store at 100 Oaks Shopping Center here in Nashville. She was trying on raincoats and I turned around and Colby was gone. One second he was there, the next he was not. Colby was a baby who walked at 9 months, so by 12 months he was zooming along quite speedily.

Mom and I were frantic. I began calling Colby's name and the sales clerks at the store rushed around looking for him under racks and inside shelves. I was heading up an aisle when out of the corner of my eye I saw something fly through the air. I stopped and changed course. There Colby was in the middle of the ladies hat section standing in front of a mirror, a dozen or more hats strewn around him. He'd grab a delicate flowery or lacy hat off a rack, put it on his head, then giggle at himself in the mirror and fling the hat into the air. Fortunately, even though he had stomped on top of many of the hats and they were squashed out of shape, none was permanently damaged.

From then on, Colby wore every kind of hat he could get his hands on. Fireman hats, cowboy hats, Air Force captain hats, construction hats. For years Colby received a different kind of a hat on special occasions and today, as I am going through boxes in the basement I find the "hat" box. There they all are. The sailor hat, the miner's hat, the civil war style hat, the hobo hat. All of them. I hadn't expected to find them. They were in a box that was not marked, so when I opened it seeing the hats took my breath away. I had to stop, regroup, begin again to breathe.

I had saved many of Colby's things for his children. He so loved playing with items that were mine when I was young that I wanted to pass that along to his children. Of course, those children, my grandchildren, do not exist, will never exist. I am ready I think, to give some of the hats away so I divide the hats into two piles. In one pile are the hats that I remember him wearing the most. Those I will keep. For now. I convince myself that young children are waiting for the hats in the other pile. They need to go to the Goodwill. But before I box them up I take a picture of them, and then I sit on the floor and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment