Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ambulance

Today an ambulance pulls out of a medical clinic. The emergency vehicle is right in front of me and travels at normal speed. This is the same clinic where, when Colby was about nine, a doctor called an ambulance when Colby was having an asthma attack.

Then, Colby had been to see a doctor several times in a ten day period for an upper respiratory infection. It turned into strep even though he had been taking antibiotics and, as was typical whenever Colby got sick, his breathing deteriorated. I called his regular clinic and they were closed as it was a weekend. They suggested we try a walk-in clinic. We did and while there, Colby's breathing went from bad to worse.

After the examination the doctor stepped out of the room. A minute later we heard sirens and the doctor explained he had called an ambulance. The clinic was not equipped to treat Colby in his current state. This was certainly not our first trip to the hospital due to asthma, but it was the first time Colby had gone in an ambulance. I followed the vehicle, which was driving without sirens at normal speed, to Vanderbilt Hospital. Half way there the lights and sirens came on and my heart jumped into my throat. A block later the flashing and noise stopped and the driver later explained to me they were "playing" at Colby's request.

That trip resulted in a several day hospital stay and I think of that time now, as I follow this ambulance for a mile or so. I hope whoever is being transported will be okay. And I hope whoever is being transported is well enough to "play" with the lights and siren.

No comments:

Post a Comment