Thursday, May 13, 2010

Changes

Having a child die changes a parent in ways too countless to mention. I am not the same person I was before Colby passed and am still trying to find out who the "new me" is. One change is that I am more drawn to poetry than I was before. I have no idea why. Maybe it is that people send me poems I relate closely to, or that in my counseling sessions I find poets and poetry that become personal to me.

The following poem hits close to home because more than nine months after Colby passed many people are surprised that I am still grieving. They do not understand that most parents who lose children grieve for the rest of their lives. Life for them and for me will never be the same as it was "before," no matter how much we want it to be.

They Think I'm Fine and Over it
By Lyndie Sorenson © 2008

They think I'm fine and over it
Accepted that you died
But I live life with all this pain
And countless tears I've cried

I am forced to live with endless pain
That others can't accept
They think I'm fine and over it
Or that I'll soon forget

I want to scream from rooftops
Or silently just cry
I never will be over it
My God my child died!

It makes no sense to argue
My energy is low
So when they think I'm over it
I simply tell them No

I've become what they have wanted
A turtle in it's shell
Just keep my thought within myself
And never ever tell

I mask my life to others
To myself as well
For living every day on Earth
Is surely more like Hell

Simply put I won't get over it
Not better...stronger... fine
It is only that I've had no choice...
To live this life of mine

In loving memory of Joey and his heavenly buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment