Monday, May 24, 2010

Pity

Since Colby passed I do not attend many public events. This is for many reasons. A big one is that a lot of people moving around, along with several conversations going on at once, is still hard for my brain to process. I am overwhelmed with all the sensory input and become very anxious. This is a good sign that I am still reeling from Colby's passing. I am doing better, but have a long way to go. Someone in one of my support groups said it well in that grieving parents never "get over" or "get past" the death of their child, they just learn how to cope with it. I am still learning.

But another reason I do not attend events is that I do not want to see the pity on people's faces when they are confronted with me. People do not know what to do with me now that I am a grieving parent. People feel they cannot talk about kids or family or holidays or memories or the future because I no longer have any of that and it will upset me, so there is nothing left to talk about. I am, it seems, a great conversation stopper.

I do not want anyone's pity. I do not want to be treated like a fragile individual, even though in many ways that is exactly what I am. If a conversation bothers me, and yes, sometimes some conversations do, I will find something else to do, someone else to talk to. This is my problem, not everyone else's. My feelings are still raw, my emotions are still on a huge roller coaster. These are my issues to work through and pity from others serves no purpose.

Someday I will be able to handle the moving people and the varied conversations. It may not be today or tomorrow or even six months from now. But someday I will. Not treating me with pity will help speed this along.

No comments:

Post a Comment