Sunday, May 30, 2010

Writings

I try to pinpoint what I miss most about Colby. It is everything. Absolutely everything. But one of many specific things I miss is conversation with him. Colby was a wonderful conversationalist. I miss that. I miss talking to him. I miss hearing his thoughts, his viewpoints, his ideas. In the absence of speech, I have bits and pieces of his writing. Colby was not a writer like I am. Instead, he was a poet, a lyricist, a songwriter. But his writings are a glimpse into his inner soul, for he only wrote about what truly mattered to him.

Instead of using one notebook, Colby had the habit of writing down lines for poems, thoughts, and songs on pieces of scrap paper, or a page or two of many notebooks. Over the past months I have found a number of these bits of writing. I have seen many of them before, but some are new to me. The writings remind me who Colby was at his core, and they keep his thoughts and beliefs fresh in my mind. For example:

Even if I make a mil
I’ll still buy my clothes at Goodwill

Those simple words remind me of Colby’s dedication to recycling, of using something completely and not throwing it away if it still had some life, or in this case some wear, left in it. Colby felt we use too many of our natural resources and do not value enough what the Earth provides. In that, I believe he was right.

Society is in rapid decay
With the crime rate soaring
People are running wild
Greed, power, food additives
A giant corporation
Controls every aspect of
Society from war to entertainment
To organ transplants
Everything is polluted
Life has never been cheaper

Like the lines above, much of Colby’s writing was about unfairness, injustice, and problems in our society. Colby was about valuing human life, finding meaning in our days, and living a life filled with natural products. Someday I will compile his thoughts, his written words. We can all find something of value in them, some thing to think about. But for now I will continue to search for and save them, and revel in each new find.

No comments:

Post a Comment