Sunday, December 13, 2009

Snoqualmie

Eighteen years ago today Colby rode with his cub scout pack in the White Bluff Christmas parade. The boys rode on a float, dressed in their pajamas and Santa-style caps. We both had a wonderful time, but when we came home early that afternoon it was to find our beloved horse, Snoqualmie, in distress.

Snoqualmie was 30 that year, about to turn 31, and a few days before she'd had a minor stroke. The veterinarian said she'd either pull out of it or she wouldn't. It was obvious when we got home from the parade that she would not. Snoqualmie had been my best friend since I was 12. For 23 years she had been my sister. More recently she had been Colby's trusted friend, serving alternately as pirate ship, diving board, ladder, Indian chaser, Cowboy mount, alien, and rocket ship. Whatever his active imagination came up with, she was ready to play the part.

This afternoon she was down, breathing hard, stretched out in a grove of trees and I knew she'd never rise again. Colby stayed with her while I ran to the house to call the vet, then he ran back to the house to retrieve the blanket I had forgotten. Colby went to the barn and brought some grain to Snoqualmie. She loved to eat and was an "easy keeper" so she never was allowed a lot of grain. It wouldn't make any difference now, I thought, as Colby fed her little handfuls until the vet arrived.

I quickly explained to Colby that Snoqualmie was old and that it was time for the angels to take her to heaven and I sent him to the house to gather the dogs and cat and pray. In a few minutes it was over. I covered her with the blanket and went to the house to call a local guy who had a backhoe.

Every year on this date, the anniversary of her passing, Colby and I took a drive out to the farm where we used to live so we could visit her gravesite. This year I couldn't do it. Mourning both Colby and Snoqualmie was too much. I feel bad that I was not able to honor her with a visit this year, but I hope she understands. I hope she is now with Colby, that they are once again friends who are having one adventure after the other. Colby would like that, and so would she.

No comments:

Post a Comment