Friday, November 13, 2009

Herd

I have lost my herd. In the world of horses, the herd is everything. The herd represents safety, security, support, comfort, shelter, food, sharing, leadership, decision-making, teamwork––everything a horse needs to thrive. Colby was my herd.

When I was sick, he was the first to notice. When I'd lock myself out of the house, he was the one who could crawl into our secret entrance. When I needed to move something heavy, he was always there. And not just recently. It's amazing how much an eight- or ten-year-old boy can help, be a team member.

When you come from a small family, a small herd, each member relies on others more than in larger units. Each member does double duty, completes more jobs. Imagine your immediate and extended family. Now imagine all of them gone. When you are a herd of one, you realize that being part of a herd is not one sided. Herd members help each other, seamlessly, in thousands of ways.

In the wild, lone horses, herds of one, do not last long. There is no one to watch over them while they rest. There is no one to share the leadership and decision-making, no one help fend off predators, provide shelter from storms. With Colby's passing, I have lost my herd. I am, essentially, a lone horse picking my way up a rocky trail. My job now is to figure out what to do about it.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus says -- "I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
    Matthew 28:20b

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnNK4Alwbsw

    You are never alone.
    Footprints in the Sand


    One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
    Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
    In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
    Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
    other times there were one set of footprints.

    This bothered me because I noticed
    that during the low periods of my life,
    when I was suffering from
    anguish, sorrow or defeat,
    I could see only one set of footprints.

    So I said to the Lord,
    "You promised me Lord,
    that if I followed you,
    you would walk with me always.
    But I have noticed that during
    the most trying periods of my life
    there have only been one
    set of footprints in the sand.
    Why, when I needed you most,
    you have not been there for me?"

    The Lord replied,
    "The times when you have
    seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
    is when I carried you."
    Mary Stevenson


    Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved

    ReplyDelete