Sunday, October 4, 2009

Actions

I get an email today that lets me know a friend of Colby's is in rehab. Colby passing was the deciding factor, and I am so pleased that Colby had some small part in his friend getting help. I think good thoughts and wishes for the friend. This is the third person I know of who has gotten help for mental health or addiction issues directly due to Colby.

Later today, when I am driving, I get stuck behind a very slow Jeep pulling a small flatbed trailer. It is raining and the Jeep is having some trouble managing the flatbed. There is back and forth sway and the empty trailer also bounces up and down. I am impatient as we are going almost 20 miles an hour below the speed limit. I come to my turnoff and half a mile later I come across an accident that has just happened. If not for the slow Jeep, I could have been part of the wreck.

The email and accident make me think that every action we take, every thing that we do affects someone else. Even something as small as waiting for one car to pass before we pull onto the road can make a difference. Colby would have liked this train of thought. He was always aware that everyone, everything, is connected, often in ways we do not understand. Are maybe not supposed to understand.

To an extent, we can choose many of these actions. We can choose a smile or a frown. To open a door for someone, or to ignore them. We each have the ability to affect others in a positive way . . . or not. The choice is ours, yours and mine. I am excited to think of the many ways these three people who are currently turning their lives around will touch others in the future. And that none of it would have any possibility of happening if it were not for Colby brings a silver lining to this very sad time.

No comments:

Post a Comment