Thursday, October 8, 2009

Friend

One of my horse friends passed away on Tuesday. She was a small brown pony who was the only horse who accepted me and my unusual emotions immediately after Colby's passing. She was solid, steady, a true comfort to me one particular day not long into my grief. After feeding, I stood next to the fence crying, and she left her pile of hay to come over to be with me. She stood there, when no other horse would come close, and leaned into me when I touched her. She was a gift.

This pony was also a special friend to Colby. Whenever he visited the farm, which wasn't regularly, she always walked directly to him, ears pricked, curious. There was something about Colby that she especially liked. When I needed photos of her for a book I was writing she wasn't at all interested in posing prettily for me. But, when Colby came to take the photo, she stood like a champion.

She was an older equine and had a bout of colic earlier this week. Colic is an upset of a horse's digestive system and is quite serious. In this case, our little friend could not be saved. Now I grieve for her. This pony deserves a special place in Heaven. Maybe she and Colby are there together. Bonding. Happy. Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment