Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Faith

Whether or not you believe, everyone has some kind of faith in something. Whether is it a faith and belief in God, or humanity, or simply that you know the sun will come up tomorrow, we all have faith that certain things are unquestionably true. Then tragedy hits and you no longer know what is and is not fact. My faith has been tested constantly since Colby passed, to the point that I am no longer sure what I believe. Everything I knew to be true in this world has proved to be false. Over and over I question, waiver, wonder. Why?

Is Colby in a better place? Was his passing ordained, predetermined? Was this part of a master plan or did it just happen? Why? Are we all just here with no direction? Turned loose like a pack of wild dogs to fend for ourselves? Or are we supposed to learn, help, do, grow? Why, really, are we here? What was Colby's purpose? Did he have a purpose? If so, did he fulfill it? Is that why he had to go? What is my purpose? What am I supposed to do now?

Everyone has questions. Some are answered, some are not. When life-changing events hit, those questions that are unresolved surface, swirl, and settle, sometimes into a new pattern, a new reality; sometimes back into the old. I am in the middle of a big swirl of questions, feelings, emotions. I can't see how this will all resolve and that, right now, is unsettling, almost disturbing. I have no path, no direction, no sense that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.

My only truth these days is that I get up every morning and stumble through the day in the desperate hope that one day soon, all will be a little clearer, my path a little less foggy, my questions about Colby answered in my heart. I do have faith that day will come. I just hope it is soon.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I turn to Romans 8 often. One of my favorite verses says that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." Was it in God's plan that you have experienced loss? No. Death entered this world because of sin. We have a God who breathed life into a formless lump of clay. Our God gives life. Colby's death was not a part of God's grand design for all of life, but this verse does teach us that God can and does produce good in some of life's most horrible losses. This is a part of God's plan. What we need to do? We follow the old Proverb -- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Prov. 3:5 God says that this will bring healing.

    Gail and I pray that you will experience God's healing strength in your grief.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete