Friday, October 16, 2009

Elevator

I have a dream. This is the first dream I can remember since Colby passed that does not have Colby in it. In the dream I am working on a television show. The studio is in a tall narrow, white building. Tall and narrow meaning the building is about the size of a 10 x 10 bedroom, but about 8 stories tall. The bottom floor has an elevator. It is the size of a utility cabinet but has doors and goes all the way to the ceiling. Somehow, I fit inside the elevator with two other people. Inside, the top level of the studio is big and dark and has lots of cobwebs. Not the lacy kind of cobwebs, but the matted hanks of gray matter that hangs from places no one has been in years. In the dream, none of this is odd.

I wear a dark turquoise sweater and am surprised when the cobwebs brush off easily and cleanly. Josh Brolin and Kelly Osborne are the stars of the production. They are asleep in lounge chairs in the middle of a busy hallway. One of the shots is at a therapeutic riding center so we all traipse over to the elevator, ride down and walk across a parking lot to the barn. Inside, the crew films a teenaged girl with disabilities grooming a tall, stout gray horse. Soon, the girl and the horse become unnerved by the film crew. I make everyone leave the area, then first bring the horse back in and settle her down. Then the girl, then the girl’s mother, then the crew. We get the shot. All is well. We squeeze back in the elevator to ride back up to the studio and sense we are all in danger. Extreme danger. I pull my phone from my pocket to realize that rather than a touch screen, the phone has keys like a computer keyboard does. All the keys have fallen off and are in my pocket. The keys are in two layers and I place each layer of each key back on, only to have them all fall off again.

I have no idea what the dream means, or if it means anything at all. The cobwebs might be because Halloween is near and when Colby was small it was one of his favorite holidays. We spent days working together on his costumes. Batman, Spiderman, a skeleton, a pirate, a witch and a monster. One year we went trick or treating twice. Once in our town, and the next night in a neighboring town where he had friends. One of the towns had changed the trick or treat date due to the 31st falling on a Sunday. Colby had a curious half skip then. Walk fast hop once, walk a few steps more, hop again. The hop was always on the left leg and I can see him now, hop skipping up to a house on Halloween, practicing his “monster moves” before he knocked on the door, then his mad dash back to the truck when the candy had been dropped into his bag. I don’t know if the dream means anything, but it did bring about another nice memory of Colby, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment