Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Poetry

Of the two of us, Colby was the one who was a poet. From the time he was 12 he always had a scrap of paper tucked away somewhere with the beginnings of a poem, or song lyrics he was working on. My writing tends to be longer format. It takes me 1,000 words to say what poets and songwriters can say in 100. That's why I was so surprised when I was driving down the road a few weeks ago and rhyming words began to form in my head. When I got home I wrote the words down and in a few minutes there it was. A poem.

A few days later I had the opportunity to submit the poem for a book that will be filled with poetry about children who have passed on. If I was surprised when I wrote the poem, I was even more surprised when it was accepted. As I said, Colby was the poet in our family.

Like most of us, this new creation, these words, together, are not perfect. I know little of proper poetic structure, form, or format. But the words are real, heartfelt, and they came so easily that I didn't want to second guess the process by over thinking it, or editing. I'm a little out of my element here but I hope those who read it, who maybe didn't know Colby, learn a little more about him.

You, Colby

True love is what I feel
The first time I hold you
You giggle, grow, so fast, so fun
Colby, my toddler son

Pride for the grand slam
Winning is your smile
Sadness at losing Dexter dog
Counseling by the mile

Skipping down the wooded path
You, carefree, bright and gay
But teachers do not understand
A learning difference doesn’t go away

Panic first begins in school
Then spreads to all you do
Anxiety soon rules your life
My Colby, where are you?

Playing music sooths your soul
And your talent is so strong
You are smart and kind through all the rain
You smile, but it’s all wrong

Doctors never get it right
So you take it from their hands
And try to do what they cannot
Your brain, over time, disbands

Life on the street seems your only choice
The illness grows and grows
Everyone so loves you still
But pain is all you know

The big day comes and now you’re free
You leave me way behind
I don’t think you planned to go
But maybe it was time

My broken heart will never heal
Life will never be the same
How can I go on without you, my son
So precious is your name

Now I am lost, so all alone
A grandma I’ll never be
But you, Colby, my beautiful son
Are finally, eternally free

©  Lisa Wysocky

No comments:

Post a Comment