Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

My thoughts and prayers are with the 9/11 families today. How sad this day must be for each of them. I believe the recognition of the 9/11 date is what brought on my distress this morning. On September 11, 2001 Colby and I were preparing to walk out the door at 9:15 a.m. when I saw the first bits of coverage on CNN. We were heading from Nashville to Southern Mississippi, where Colby was to enter a four-month long dual diagnosis treatment program the next day. He was 15.

Not knowing what was happening we stayed glued to the television for the next hour and a half before making the decision to head south. On the way, we listened intently to the intense radio coverage that was on every station. The tragic reality of the situation opened the door for some honest conversation and Colby and I discussed life and death in ways we had never approached before. By the time we arrived at our destination, we each had a positive new understanding of the other, and a sad new understanding of our world.

The terrible loss of life in New York's twin towers and the reason for the trip south combined with the long discussions Colby and I had about important matters forever make September 11th one of the worst and best days of my life. Since 2001, this day has been bittersweet for me, emotional and sad, but it is also a day that is tinged with pride for my son, who struggled so with life.

Tonight as September 11, 2009 draws to a close I send a prayer that those who lost friends and family on 9/11 have found some measure of peace and closure. For if they have, then there is hope that eventually, I, and every other parent who has lost a child, might also reach that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment