Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ancestors

I had been researching our geneology as a present for Colby's birthday. Throughout this year, I had been giving Colby bits and pieces of the people, the story, and had planned to surprise him with a book of all the collected research on his birthday. Each month, if I hadn't already given him a bit of information, he'd ask about it and when Colby passed, I found all the printouts I had given him wrapped in plastic in his backpack.

Our story is a good one of farmers, warriors, masons, and thieves. Love and loss, heartbreak and triumph. Ocean crossings, Indian fights, potato blight, sod houses, and miles upon miles riding in covered wagons. Ancestors came mostly from Ireland, Poland, Russia, Austria, and Germany. Some belonged to the Royal families of Europe; others were brothers, sisters or parents of Catholic saints. Yet others were maids, sheepherders, and seamstresses. All were real people. Each, like Colby, left his or her mark upon the world.

Colby would have turned 24 two weeks from tomorrow. My research sits, untouched, since the day he passed. I will return to it someday, maybe even someday soon, for as I look at my great-grandfather's baby picture, and my great-great grandparent's wedding photo, I realize that I do not want them to be forgotten. So (eventually) I will continue the research, I will tell their stories and let the world know they were part of it.

This is important not only because of the story that is there, but because I am interested in telling it. For the first time since Colby passed, I am interested, although somewhat vaguely, in something. For the first time rather than going through the motions of what has to be done, I am actually interested in doing something. And that, I think, is a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment