Thursday, August 20, 2009

Counseling

My counseling session goes well today. I am pleased. I learn several good coping skills that have already helped. The ideas are supposed to help with grief and loss, but I think they will work for any tough situation. I know there are a lot of people who read this blog who are going through difficult times of their own. Maybe the techniques I learned today will help some of you. I hope so. So many of you have helped me with your emails, this is my small way of saying thank you.

1. Document emotional triggers. What makes you cry, nervous, angry, etc. Note the time of day, the trigger (if you can identify it), where you were, how long you were upset and what your reaction was (tears, yelling, etc.)

2. Document that which makes you happy, calm, etc. Also note the time of day, where you were, how long it helped.

3. Exercise every day because exercise helps burn away the chemical buildup of bad feelings in your body.

4. Absolutely do something nice for yourself every day and once a week plan something special, even if you don't feel like it.

So today I carry a notebook and document my emotions throughout the day. The goal over time is to identify emotional triggers and develop coping skills by using the calming techniques. For the record, I have cried 23 times so far today. About usual for me lately. I did exercise, but I usually do anyway. And I am thinking of something to do that would be special.

The techniques help me today in dealing with the health department, mortuary and medical examiner's office. Just when I think I don't have to deal with them any more something crops up that takes half a day to sort out. Today it is obtaining the death certificate. It shouldn't be this hard, or this frustrating. I note incompetence as one of my triggers and red tape as another. Also cell phones that don't let you know for several hours that a call has come in. No calming activities yet. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment