Monday, August 10, 2009

Cubes

Yesterday was a very emotional day, but whenever I was at my lowest, someone called. This morning when I wake my face is so swollen from the tears that I don't recognize myself in the mirror. But I feel calmer. I needed the emotional release. And, I decide that the bruise on my leg is just that. A bruise and nothing else. Whew.

This morning I make a mixture of tea, juice and water, and drop in a few ice cubes. An hour later, when the glass is empty, I find that one cube has not melted. Odd, I think. Then I look closer at it and smile. The unmelted cube is one Colby bought years ago at the Mall of America near Minneapolis. He was maybe 10 or 11. This cube is a piece of plastic shaped like an ice cube with the image of a fly embedded inside the cube. I haven't seen it for years. And how it got into my ice tray, one I had filled not all that long ago, I have no idea. But I am glad it was there. I put the cube back in the ice tray and know I will smile every time it turns up in my glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment