Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Frustration

I hate run arounds. From the time I heard Colby had passed I wanted to get the clothes he was wearing, his shoes, the belongings he had in his pockets. The medical examiner told me repeatedly that I couldn't have access to them, that I had to wait until I picked up his cremains at the mortuary. I asked for them several times. I am sure I annoyed them to no end with all my phone calls. I did eventually, just recently, get his phone and his wallet after explaining to someone at the medical examiner's office that people were calling the house looking for him and I needed to be able to call his friends to tell them of his death. The only way I had of reaching his friends was through the address book on his phone.

When I picked up his cremains the mortuary told me they did not have Colby's clothes. Furthermore, they claimed they never had them and did not know where they were. I called the medical examiner's office several times and left messages. As of right now, I have not yet received an answer to those messages or talked to a real person. The mortuary tried to call Metro Nashville social services, as there is a person there who apparently hunts things like this down, but he is on vacation until sometime next week.

I believe my request is a simple one. I just want the clothes and belongings my son had with him when he died. Any parent would want that. And in times of grief, of sadness, those mourning loved ones do not need the extra stress that a situation like this causes. This situation is upsetting to me, distracting. I have a sinking feeling that I will never have these items, that they have been thrown away. Discarded. If that really is the case, how unfair it is to Colby to treat his belongings so callously, and how unfair to me and to others who loved him. Colby deserved to be treated with decency, and so do those he left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment