Monday, August 10, 2009

Friends

Today I had to tell yet another young friend of Colby's over the phone that he had passed away. The telephone is such an impersonal way of sharing such very personal news. I felt so bad for this friend, and the other friends I have had to tell this way. It is especially hard as unexpected death leaves so many unresolved issues between friends and loved ones. There is no chance to say good bye, I'm sorry, I love you, thank you, or any of the hundred other things you might want to say to a dear friend the last time you ever see them.

I think most of Colby's friends have such regrets. Many have shared them with me. Fortunately, Colby and I said "I love you" to each other at the end of every conversation, so I do not have that regret, but I would have liked to remind him of his gifts. I'm not sure he realized all the many ways he touched others and I would have liked the chance to tell him. I would also have liked to thank him for enriching my life beyond words, for making me laugh (and cry), for getting me to try new things, for all the wonderful times we shared, and for just being my son. I loved him so.

While I do not have that opportunity with Colby. I do with others I care about, and you do as well. We all have the chance to tell those around us how very much they mean to us and I hope everyone who reads this does so. Frequently. You never know when you see someone if it will be the last time, and no one should ever walk away with any regrets.

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. We, as humans, get soo caught up in the day to day grind that we often lose sight of what, and who, is important in our lives. We need to remember to take that moment, for that's all it takes, to let our loved ones know how much we love and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete