Sunday, August 23, 2009

Morning

It is a beautiful morning here in Nashville. Cool, partly cloudy, a little breeze. Unusual for the middle of August. I would have loved to have shared this morning with Colby, but the reality is Colby wasn't a morning person. Even before he was born he was up nights and quiet during the day. His clock and mine were at polar opposites. He loved the stars and spent hours staring at them, both with and without his telescope. He knew the names of all the major ones and, day or night, could find his way by looking into the sky. I like to think he's up there now, looking at all of us from the opposite direction.

This morning I get ready for a trip to California. Part business and part much needed break and a life assessment. Where do I go from here? The death of a child, especially your only child, forces you to reevaluate life goals, retirement issues, and wishes for the future. I am a goal oriented person. I know it is far too soon to make major decisions, but I need to map out options, possibilities, to ponder over in coming months. A change of scenery and some quiet time hopefully will provide me that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment