Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rain

Colby passed on a Saturday. I found out on a Sunday. On Monday, a friend of Colby's and I put flowers on the place where he died. Minutes after that it began to rain. Hard. It rained for almost two days and I thought of the rain as the Earth's tears for my son's passing. After a twelve hour let up it began to rain again. Hard. For almost two more days. By this time I was driving to Houston and it rained the entire way. This rain I thought of as the Earth's tears for my sadness. Now, every time it rains I think of it as someone crying for Colby. It has rained a lot in the three and a half weeks since he passed. It poured during the hour I picked up his cremains. It rained when I took a load of his "stuff" to the Goodwill. When I read through some of his childhood school papers, it rained. Of course, it has been a rainy summer. Today it is raining again. Today is the day of my first individual grief counseling session. I'm not sure what to expect, of the counselor or me. I will bring Kleenex and an umbrella, for I know as I go from the truck to the entrance of the building that it will be raining. Hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment